about the things I took for granted at homeâ€¦
1. Ordering a coffee can be as complicated as you want and the barista will not get mad at you.
* It makes me want to order something Â more complicated than my normal Americano. Just because I can.
2. A smile towards another person or at you does not mean I want to hit on you or that I want something from you… it simply is a sign of recognition.
*Which often results in me smiling at everyone and looking like an idiot. Besides the point.
3. Free water atÂ restaurantsÂ or bars or any place with a food or beverage item is totally normal.
*Even if you’re a starving teacher, at least you will only starve and not die of thirst.
4. Walking around in my pajamas all day and night without feeling an ounce of guilt.
*Maybe an ounce.
5. Playing music loud and not having to care about the neighbors upstairs, downstairs or on either sides.
*Not like my neighbors in SP ever care anyways.
6. Not having to play chicken while crossing the street.
*Even though I often do out of habit. Then I get strange looks. Like, “Lady…I stopped for you, you don’t have to run like an idiot”.
7. Ridiculous amounts of things for ridiculous prices (I’m glad I only come home once a year).
*Oh Target. How I love thee.
8.Traffic only during rush hour.
*ONLY being the key word.
9. Leisurely walking through stores without being hassled about what I want to buy. Heaven forbid I just want to browse.
*Although I have gotten the act of ignoring a salesperson down to an art in SP.
10. Citizens obeying the law.
*Don’t get me wrong people…Sao Paulo has a few law abiding citizens, but just a few.
I’m sure there are more… but these are the top for now.
Funny– god I miss the states right now!
I also took friendly salespeople everywhere for granted… and I’m not talking over-the-top… I’m talking ‘hello, how are you, thanks and have a good day!’ ….
Almost got hit by a car here on my first day back in B-Zilly… Sigh
ahahahaha, i hate ordering coffee here. i asked for a syrup once and she put it in a espresso shot, filled half the shot cup! sick. cant WAIT for ridiculous amounts of things for ridiculous prices!!!!